Hey you lovely bunch, having recently made THE BEST lemon cake yet, I thought I’d share my recipe and method – don’t say I’m not good to you. Here’s one all the family can enjoy.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
For the Icing drizzle…
- juice 1½ lemons
- 85g caster sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Mix together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time.
- Sift in 225g self-raising flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined.
- Line a loaf tin – I don’t line my tin but I put butter all around the inside to make it easy to remove. Spoon in the mixture and level.
- Bake for 60 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 ½ lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
My inspiration was from the BBC good food website and I have chosen to share this recipe as I have found it to be the best yet for baking lemon drizzle with, a real tasty treat for a Autumnal day in. Love, Keren.